Thursday 6 August 2020

Off the bench this week - ( Reinforcements for the Mohawks and more flats!)


This is my third attempt to post, apologies in advance if my text suddenly gets underlined! I’m finding that once I post photos then all the text gets underlined and I can’t remove it!

Anyway I finished basing the Fife and Drum Mohawks that we’re painted for me by Steve Allen, they’ve come out nice and once I finish the Huron’s I will have enough pieces to have my first try out of the new edition of musket and tomahawks.




I also picked up some bits and pieces from Berliner Zinnfiguren - they operate a flea market on their site and I bought some Generals and Hussars for a very fair price. I also bought some grenadiers for effectively the cost of unpainted figures. The grenadiers need a little touching up but overall very useful additions. I tried an idea re putting a name plate on the bases - I did this with the Hussars but I’m not keen so may resort to something else! 





I’m pretty much set now on the basing as being 80x60 to use with the Command and Colours Tricorn idea I have and I’ve started making notes for the rules and cards.  Also looking at bases to represent garrisons etc as I want to be able to maximise the dynamics of the ‘ flat’ figure.

This is worth a little watch it’s a link to a German news item on the new owner of the Kieler flat figure range ( some 11000 items in the range) You don’t need to understand German to be suitably impressed by his house and displays. I have some pieces on order from him

Finally the local club has reopened, now I haven’t been yet. Our club is run in the lounge of the pub and quite rightly the owner has put quite tight restrictions in place, so you can’t wander between tables, table service for food and drinks and no more than 4 to a table, part of my enjoyment for attending is the ability to go and chat and see what others are doing so without being able to do this then I’ve decided not to attend, apart from that I still think it’s all a bit too early as recent activity in Aberdeen has shown.
Finally I got notification that Salute is scheduled for the 10th April next year, will it happen? 
Bearing in mind the Nightingale isn’t due to be decommissioned until the end of March then this winter is certainly going to be an interesting one if this damned pandemic spikes again, even more importantly will Vapnartak happen at York in February? I’m thinking under the current climate no or if it does it certainly won’t be in the format we know.
Moan over - back to the paint table

9 comments:

Independentwargamesgroup said...

This new blogger marlarky is a bugger Graham. But just a word to say I love your flats, they have come up really well. So well done.

John Ray said...

Graham,

The flats are tremendous!

The poses are what I have been trying to replicate for years.

Great project.
Regards
John

Graham C said...

John,
I could never hope to match your wonderful collection but this project will go some way to allow me to create some dynamic scenes ( I hope).
Robbie
Guess I will get there in the end. Thanks re the flats really looking forward to this little diversion.

Mark Dudley said...

Flats are interesting to paint. I have tried a few in the past. I will follow where you go with this. Have you seen the Grunwald site and their SYW range.

Graham C said...

Mark,
I’ve bought some bits and pieces from Grunwald, Rolf is very helpful and there are some great sets.
I’ve also ordered some figures from Kieler ( I believe those Grenadiers are Kieler) He sells the figures individually and in sets - again there are some great pieces
I’m very much determined to keep this as a board game interpretation

Delta Coy said...

G'Day Graham, great little Indian warband and your flat collection is coming along nicely. I see what you mean about the label on the bases. Have thought of trying the stand-up type of labels that Napoleons Battles uses? Cheers Greg

StuartInsch said...

Excellent figures Graham. The bases are perfect too and really set off the figures.

Der Alte Fritz said...

I think that you can still opt to use the old Blogger format through the end of August.

MSFoy said...

Great post - all these figures are a delight to behold!