Friday 14 August 2020

A few more Prussians.

 In between preparing an article for the Wargames Annual and doing battle with companies who don’t want to refund money when they don’t supply goods I have found a little time to further the SYW Command and Colours project.

3 more bases of Prussian infantry - I’m using one base to a battalion and where I can get the extra standard bearers then my intention is to base up as shown to represent a two battalion regiment this also gives options for other rule sets.

The third base were the left overs!


One of the main reason of usin flats was to let me incorporate the little vignettes etc that they are so fond of doing. To that end I decided to make a series of smaller bases to use as garrisons for buildings, towns etc and also to represent assaulting troops attacking fortifications etc.. initially I’d hoped to use 40mmx30mm bases so four bases took up the same area as a normal base, that didn’t work so it’s 40x40.

You will see what I’m trying to achieve and the reason for my comments in the photos below. These were already painted and I’ve just tried to do a little work on them to tie them in with the rest of the figures I’ve done


Guess I need some walls to use those ladders 😁. I’ve also started work on the cards used in C&C Tricorne although I still may use the Ramekin ideas from Prometheus in Aspic’s  blog which replaces the tactical cards with chits. Lots to ponder.


10 comments:

Delta Coy said...

Your flats project is coming along nicely Graham - what can we expect to see in the way of opponents? Austrians or Russians? Cheers Greg

Graham C said...

Austrians I’m afraid. There doesn’t appear to be a lot out there re the Russians so I will start with Austrians and then maybe dabble with some Russian infantry, Cossacks etc and see if paint jobs will pass for the cavalry
Graham

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Lovely flats! I didn't realize it at first. Top-notch.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Delta Coy said...

A very sound plan. I suppose it depends a lot on what comes up in the European flea markets like Berlin Zinnfiguren?

'Lee. said...

This is a fascinating project Graham, all the wonderful 18th Century figures that you produce and sell and you are going with flats! But I can fully get why, they look so traditional soldier like and as you say the vignettes are great and really add to the bases. Do you have a hex size in mind? This has been a bugbear of mine when trying to use miniatures with C&C, getting the balance between keeping the 'battalions' fairly close order and still leaving space for terrain items etc, but with flats I can see it can be more easily done.

I'm very tempted to try painting a few, I have looked at flat soldiers on numerous occasions over the years. Can I ask where they come from and roughly what they cost please?

Look forward to more as the project progresses.

Mark Dudley said...

I do like these flats. They are full if character. Are you only buying pre painted figures or are you going to paint some from scratch as well.

I am interested in the other rules. Are you thinking of using the War Game and using roster sheets to mark loses?

Are there some ancient flats lurking in the background as well.

Graham C said...

Mark,
I’ve painted the Prussian musketeers 😁 and I have quite a few others to paint up. Just I’ve managed to pick up some not badly painted figures quite cheaply as well. Rules wise then The Wargame with rosters is on the agenda as is trying out Field of Battle. Initially it’s C&C as I will be able to get pieces on the table pretty quick.
Yes Greeks in the back ground that’s how this whole thing started.
Lee,
Yes I make loads of nice figures and I enjoy painting them but potentially the French and British/Allies will be so big I won’t have time or effort to paint Prussians and Austrians. Painting the flats is pretty quick still trying out different techniques.
These should fit on Kallistra although I may get Martin at Warbases to make me some slightly larger hexes to use as a template and paint a board ( or of course I could get a mat printed!)
You’d enjoy painting the flats, I’ve bought some from Berliner Zinnfiguren (who also operate a flea market) Most of the unpainted I’ve bought from Rolf Grunewald and I’m waiting for some Kieler from their new owner.

Independentwargamesgroup said...

Brilliant Graham but I would be terrified to move them around the table in case I bent them. I thought I was going retro but you have gone further.

Graham C said...

Robbie,
It’s surprising how robust these guys are and of course the big bases help. The idea of using them in lieu of counters for a board game I’m hoping helps as well.
As for being retro well I never even considered these guys in the olde days and certainly couldn’t get hold of them. I just wanted to do something different - I’m surprised how much interest this is generating.

Amtmann B. said...

The poses are looking full of speed and character. Very nice!