Wednesday 3 July 2019

More 3D printer madness

well after much deliberation I bought myself a Prusa MK3s fdm printer!  I have two projects for the 18th century figures I'd like to get done. The first is to build a harbour and docks with dockside buildings etc.  Printable Scenery seem to do a nice range that will fit and I also would like to be able to build a Vauban fortress.
Laserdream works do an excellent set of files to fill this gap.
Now an fdm printer is far less messy than a resin printer but the 'slicing' software for the two machines is very different so by way of an experiment and to start the learning I downloaded a free 'test' file from Laserdream works and set to.
The result can be seen below. I'm more than happy with the outcome and am now working out what I need to print!

The other consideration is if I scale it down slightly - the great thing with the printers is the ability to scale up or scale down and certainly some of the buildings I'm looking at producing are designed for the 'heroic' 28mm and will be scaled down to take up a far smaller footprint.
In the meantime here's the test piece. In terms of cost I reckon this cost around 0.90p



10 comments:

The Jolly Broom Man said...

Well we're lucky that you've still found time to post Graham. If it were me I'd be locked away in a room somewhere testing the ruddy things to destruction. The possibilities this technology presents are awe inspiring. To have someone using these things and approaching it from a wargaming / modelling perspective is going to be very instructive for all of us.

Graham C said...

Now the question is do I print 6mm or go large for your forthcoming 15's?
🤣

Der Alte Fritz said...

A Russian 3-pounder and a British 12-pounder would be nice.😎👍

The Jolly Broom Man said...

LOL. Can things actually be scaled down to 6mm?

Graham C said...

Indeed they can 😀

Graham C said...

You get it I will print it 🤣

BigRedBat said...

Really like that!

StuartInsch said...

I really like the sound of this project ...and the look of it too!!

Colin Ashton said...

Oh dear........

Colin Ashton said...

......in a good way 😉