Tuesday 15 November 2022

Short Bench update! ECW and Epic

 Just a short update on what I’ve been up to. Apart from  the never ending ‘sorting stuff out’ I’ve pressed on trying to get all the ECW pieces finished. Still a few bases to grass and standards to sort so I thought I’d make a start on the artillery. All guns based and painting started but when it came to manning them I found I hadn’t sent Lee enough crew! Rather than divert his attention I’ve mad a start on the dozen figures I need and aim to have the guns and crew finished by next week.

I also undercoated my baggage train, these are mainly Essex pieces and some of the moulds are starting to show their age as some of the pieces had quite a bit of flash to remove, but progress is being made.



The other figure project this week was pressing on with the Warlord Epic Napoleonic figures,  think I’ve mentioned before that my initial objective is to refight Quatre Bras using one epic base as a battalion, for that I will need 33 bases of French - to date I have done 29 so just 4 more to go. I’m still keeping a two level approach to organising and hence having a command base in every 4 thus allowing me to use the figures for other rule sets, (Soldiers of Napoleon and Valour and Fortitude) .

Once the French infantry are complete I shall press on with the Cavalry ( one base to 300 troopers) and then the allies.







These are not painted for close scrutiny but I have sought to strike a balance between getting them completed and looking ok for the table top.

I had hoped to start the last 28mm unit of Early French but my 3D printer broke down so I spent a day repairing that after ordering the part that seemed faulty. I will give Prusa their due their manuals etc are very good and I just took my time and it’s back up and running.

Game wise nothing much to report I’ve played a couple of games but nothing exciting to report on - hopefully next week.

Finally the Battleground show takes place on the 26th November https://www.battlegroundshow.co.uk/

Organised by Leon of Pendraken miniatures it’s a good show and with free entry what’s not to like, I will be going and hope to catch up with quite a few fellow gamers I haven’t seen for some time

All the best and take care.

11 comments:

The Jolly Broom Man said...

Ye Gods, does the Government know you’ve got that many armed men under your command? They might have some security concerns, lol.

Norm said...

I really like what you are doing with the Epic, it takes much discipline not to work on the fine detail, which is clearly present on these figures at normal painting distance (under my nose!). The basing complements well.

If you are going 1 base per battalion, are you fighting by the battalion or the brigade?

Graham C said...

Norm,
Because I’ve changed the scale of DBN to a battalion a base I’m going to use some simple brigade integrity rules to stop them being too independent - hence most French brigades will be 4 or 5 bases and be required to operate closely.

Jonathan Freitag said...

Looking good, Graham. Good to see steady progress on the painting front. Your EPIC figures look splendid en masse.

DaveD said...

Coming along nicely. Hopefully catch you at Battleground - I will have the Vietnam tabie up,and running

Donnie McGibbon said...

Nice work on the Epic French, they look the part and will look great on the table, I am very tempted by them but have resisted, so far......

Independentwargamesgroup said...

Great to see you are busy Graham, a spot of painting does seem to make things feel better. Its interesting you've opted for the smaller scales. I must admit if I was ten years younger I would have invested in the Epic range, they offer up a lot.So keep at it and well done. See you soon.

'Lee. said...

All looking very good there Graham and great to see the ECW Edgehill project finally coming together, it is going to be quite a spectacle when it all gets onto the table.

The Warlord Epics seem to have exploded onto the hobby stage! Certainly my little painting business has had a real boost in terms of demand, I'm having to turn loads of Epic work away now. Once I came to terms with the method of approach - ie as if they were 6mm Baccus strips rather than individual 15mm figures - that was it! Looking forward to your Quatre Bras battle.

You mention Essex, they certainly have been around for a long time, I was thinking back recently to first time I visited the shop/factory and my eldest daughter was a toddler so must be about 30 years or so ago? I accidently wandered past the shop entrance and into the production unit and was surprised how big it was and the number of people working there! They are still in that same premises and the figures continue to sell well. Certainly the figures I bought recently are still very nicely detailed and crisp castings.

All the best Graham and many thanks for the 'Blood, Bilge and Iron Balls' rule book :)

Lee.

Tiberian general said...

Fantastic work Graham, I like the Napoleonic epic stuff. I am still resisting the urge to buy some. Looking forward to your Quatre Bras game.

Willz.

Chris Gregg said...

Well done Graham. I think your Epic stuff looks brilliant, and if that isn't enough detail at this size for anyone they need to get a life! If you ever get your variation of the rules into a shareable format I'd be very interested to see please. Thanks
Chris G

Aly Morrison said...

Lovely toys Graham…
The Epic Napoleonics really look the business.

All the best. Aly