Friday 19 August 2022

The ECW project - The Royalist Army.

 Quite some time ago I decided I would like to return to the ECW. When I presented demo games we presented a number of ECW battles all in 28mm and I thoroughly enjoyed them, with the break up of the group the collections were disposed of.

So I decided I would start again in 15mm using the Peter Pig figures which I personally find to be full of character and are pretty straight forward to paint. As a framework for the collection I chose the Battle of Edgehill, it would give two good sized armies and if I wasn’t too fussy would allow me to fight a lot of the other battles. 

For rules I quite like Tony’s (Prometheus in aspic) blog which are a variant of the Command and Colours system. I have also incorporated a few tweaks, some as suggested by the Jolly Broom Man and a few by myself.

Whilst I have painted some figures over 95% have been painted by Lee Gramson ((Napoleonic therapy project) and he is still working on the project. Having a little time free I decided to set up what is completed for the Royalist army, as you can see there’s still work to, bases to finish, flag edges to paint, characters to finish and base etc. 

The Parliamentarian army isn’t too far behind and I would hope to be able to refight Edgehill before year end! 

 As Lee knows once this project is finished then we move to Montrose, The Covenanters and Newcastles army! 

I know there’s always a bit of debate around the use of smaller figures compared to the ever popular 28mm and whilst I have access to an 8’x5’ table which can grow to 10x5 I much prefer  using the 15’s!

Hope you enjoy the pics













13 comments:

rct75001 said...

That is already and will be great collection Graham. They are a good size to fight larger actions and look great as units. For similar reasons I have chosen to do the TYW in 10mm.

Richard

The Jolly Broom Man said...

Awesome project matey. I hope you have lots of fun with it!

Norm said...

Graham, a fine gathering. I will have seen many of these on Lee's blog, but that has been unit by unit, collectively, that looks a lovely army.

Yesterday I took possession of the GMT re-make of This Accursed Civil War, but I got the dual special pack that also includes the Sweden Fight On module. The dual pack also includes bonus scenarios for Cropredy Bridge and Cheriton, so plenty to explore.

Stew said...

Very nice parade of troops. Everyone likes a parade. 15/18mm miniatures are very nice and help to provide that army feel. ๐Ÿ˜€

Graham C said...

Richard,
I did consider 10mm especially as Pendraken is just up the road but I just love the character of PP
JBM
Thanks you have provided a lot of ideas and inspiration for ECW.
Norm,
I’m waiting on my copy plus Julius Ceaser great battles ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Graham

'Lee. said...

That's the style Graham! The wide shot looks so much like a contemporary illustration. A big thank you for allowing me to paint so many figures for you :)
Lee.

ronniec said...

I've been following progress on Lee's blog too. Absolutely fabulous to see all of the figures together.
Ronnie

Carlo said...

Very nice Graham and your rate of painting is impressive. I had a largish collection of 28mm ECW that I also disposed of which I do regret. Great period to play.

Donnie McGibbon said...

Nice to see this lovely collection, the PP figures really do have something about them, they are very characterful.

Tiberian general said...

Lovely figures Graham, I keep seeing loads of ECW projects on the go. Your not making ๐Ÿ˜ƒ any easier not to start a new period.


Willz.

Aly Morrison said...

Lovely looking little people Graham…

All the best. Aly

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

That's three points of commonality... one, my ECW project is also based on Edgehill, two my project is also 15mm, and having tried a cross sample of other makes, couldn't agree more about the beauty of the Peter Pig's, and last, I too have a couple of units painted by Lee in my armies.. Great minds clearly think alike..! :o))

caveadsum1471 said...

Having seen Lee painting these individually it's great seeing them all together, very impressive!
Best Iain