Sunday 21 August 2022

Off the bench - upscale!

 Sometime ago I bought an excellent 40mm Napoleonic collection from Lee Gramson, it is near as damn it complete. Certainly the French and British are about there, the Spanish need some additions and if I want Portuguese then it looks like I will have to do some heavy conversions and get them cast. 

However I digress on my paint bench a unit of Spanish Infantry have been languishing for a long time, receiving a dab of paint every now and then! Anyway this week I was determined to start clearing the paint bench and the Spanish moved to the fore.



I’m pretty pleased with them as I haven’t painted 40’s before. The one big thing is I decided to base them on smaller bases than Lee did as I’ve just about decided on the style of game I want to play and these will work better. So there’s a large rebasing project to be done now. Hope Lee doesn’t mind!

12 comments:

Independentwargamesgroup said...

Good to see you pottering about Graham. Ive just bought some 40mm French to revitalise my chess set, by replacing y 28mm pawns with Perry 40mm. They are very nice sculpts.

StuartInsch said...

Nice figures...look forward to seeing more.

Jonathan Freitag said...

Nice work, Graham! Who doesn’t have a Napoleonic Spanish army waiting in the painting queue? Not me, for sure.

Norm said...

Fantastic, I don’t know why, I just assumed they went abroad. Look forward to whatever you do with these and to hear more.

Old Nick said...

Very well done. Looking forward to seeing the entire collection on the table.

The Jolly Broom Man said...

Very nice mate. I wondered who’d had them. I seem to remember Lee working on them when he went out to Spain?

Donnie McGibbon said...

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this project, I have been tempted by 40mm but too much to do to really go for it, so will enjoy your collection instead!!

Aly Morrison said...

Cracking stuff Graham…
Those Perry 40mm are rather lovely.
You certainly have an interesting mix of toys on your painting desk…

All the best. Aly

Ray Rousell said...

Now they look pretty cool Graham!

'Lee. said...

A superb unit and addition to the collection Graham. The smaller/thinner bases are a big improvement as I was always aware that the bases were the weak spot of an otherwise lovely collection of big soldiers :) As you know the collection of around 600 figures was put together when I went to live in Spain and had a large 'underbuild' that was perfect for a dedicated gaming space in the scale. I was having orders from Sash & sabre and Perry sent to my daughters in the Uk who carried them out to Spain for me much to the amusement of customs! One problem was that I could not access MDF and decent super glue out there so used hand cut ply and super glue from one of the ubiquitous Chinese stores there that proved to be anything but Super. As you know all of the red rock and stones were picked up from the Spanish countryside so I'm glad you will be re using them on the new bases Graham. I'm really pleased that they went to you Graham as I could never have used them back here now and on the new bases they are going to look brilliant.

All the best,
Lee.

caveadsum1471 said...

Splendid looking Spanish and good luck with the rebasing!(shudder!)
Best Iain

Tiberian general said...

40mm Graham another project đŸ˜€, very nice figures.


Willz.