Wednesday 17 February 2021

Wofun part 2 - progress and more thoughts.

 After my initial post on the Wofun having now had time to base up all the infantry, cavalry and Officers for the armies heres some further thoughts.

The slots in the bases are extremely tight for the tabs on the figures, I broke a couple of bases early on so in the end I used a sharp knife and lightly went down the sides of the slots and the figures fitted far better.

I only had one piece that hadn’t been pre cut properly but I managed to salvage him and put him in a second rank. The Spanish cavalry sheet was missing but Wofun are sending a replacement.

If you look carefully at the French you will see I’ve started putting the brown on the edges of some pieces, I’ve decided to refight the Battle of Maida to try out Andy Callen’s rules so am edging the required pieces first.

So any negatives - yes - I don’t like the guns ( I haven’t finished them yet) fiddly to put together and I think the barrels look awful however I’ve bought some 20mm and 27mm brass gun barrels and will be fitting them shortly.

I’ve also ordered a couple packs of Blue Moon artillery pieces to try out.

Overall I’m very pleased something like 2000 figures based and ready to go!

Below is a few pictures of the French taken out their storage boxes there’s a fair variety incl. Swiss, Duchy of Warsaw, Grenadier battalion, dismounted Dragoons etc.

And a couple of pics of the British, Spanish and Portuguese in their respective







I’m hoping to get all the pieces ready for the Maida game next week.

In the mean time keep safe.




10 comments:

Jonathan Freitag said...

You have a near, instant army! I like the coloring on the edges. It improves the overall all en masse look, I think.

The Jolly Broom Man said...

Still awaiting my ECW bods, but brown marker pen will be ready when they get here! If you don’t mind me asking where did you go for your gun barrels...and why just the barrels?

David Crook said...

Hello old chap,

The guns are very ‘marmite’ and the 28mm versions were fiddly enough! A gaming chum of mine uses the Citadel Agarax Earthshade straight from the pot to edge his AWI collection and also matt varnishes them. This has the effect of taking the sheen off the figure but boosts the colour. He has also done his own things with the basing.

When the rest of my ECW collection arises I will probably buy in some guns - where did you get the brass barrels from?

That is a cracking looking collection!

All the best,

DC

Graham C said...

Thanks for the comments.
The brass barrels come from https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/
JBM the reason I only went for the barrels is that if I could manage with them I would rather then spending extra cash on more guns 🤣

'Lee. said...

Graham, before you order Blue Moon guns I have quite a few spares I can send you for free? I replaced all mine with AB's.

The collection looks great, especially with the darkened edges. I would be so tempted to use them on the C&CN board if they were mine!

Cheers,
Lee.

Graham C said...

Lee,
You’re a gent, many thanks
Graham

marinergrim said...

I can see why you want to paint the edges but it is interesting to see how much that reduces the brightness of the figures. I wonder if the fact that these are 18mm makes the polypropylene appear to an exaggerated extent.

Graham C said...

Paul,
I can’t compare to the 28’s I’m afraid, maybe Dave on A Wargaming Odyssey could enlighten us as he’s had both? But yes it does darken them quite a lot, hopefully it’s not too detrimental but I don’t think I could stick with the clear edges

James Fisher said...

A bit of fiddling (and a shame about those few breakages), but the ease factor is clearly attractive.
I did not think that I minded the 'halo' effect (based on photos of a game that Jonathan played recently), but your brown edging really lifts the figures, so is well worth it—albeit it detracting from the 'instant army' idea!
Regards, James

Graham C said...

James,
Think the instant armies is still there regardless, I will certainly be getting a game try out before I’ve finished the bases etc. The halo effect I don’t think is too bad depending how you like your game to look and it does seem to lift the colours.