Sunday 14 April 2019

Salute a brief review

Well last weekend saw me travel to the Excel with Gav to trade with my figure range and his Blood and Plunder stock from the shop.

As always I take my hat off the the Warlords for organising this event it's no easy task for sure.
We were almost fully set up by 4.30 on the Friday evening and I hoped that would give me some time to look around on the Saturday morning. 

I should realise by now that a significant number of gamers and traders don't arrive until the Saturday morning which means in the houir I had to move around the show not a lot was finished!!

Of those games I did manage to see these were the ones that caught my eye

Gringo 40's Tonkin rebellion was very impressive









Thirty Years war action not fully set up but it looked good





These were models on the Mierce Miniatures trade stand - not my thing but they looked impressive and the terrain board they had for their game was pretty damn good as well





28mm Command and Colours  Napoleonic - think it was Vimeiro



that was it - I know there were lots of other nice looking games but they weren't ready for photos.
Big Lee at http://www.blmablog.com/2019/04/salute-2019-photo-report-part-1.html does a really good 3 part review with lots of good photos.

Was it a good show? It's Salute and I always think it's pretty awesome and a really good way to gauge where the hobby is at.

I did think there were noticeably more younger people there ( or is that just because I'm getting older) and certainly more ladies, which all bodes well for the hobby.

I know there were complaints on TMP that there were fewer historical games - I certainly didn't get that impression if you look at the list of demo games there are a lot of historical. However as a general rule of thumb I do feel that the scifi/fantasy lobby generally put more effort into their games in terms of display etc.

Big Lee says he felt more of the historical games looked like good club/ home games which he found as a positive because it made you feel that it was achievable rather than just looking at something knowing you could never hope to replicate it - an interesting view and probably a good one.

Anyway its all over for another year - maybe next year I can find two helpers so I can have a real look around :)

2 comments:

Independentwargamesgroup said...

Hope the day was a success Graham. I might make the trip next year after the short lay off. The Warlords do need applauding for their monumental efforts. It cant be easy negotiating all the pitfalls of staging a large public event, especially in London.

Graham C said...

Robbie
Your always welcome to join the 'management ' for the weekend 🤣