Wednesday 2 August 2023

AWI muster.

 As the day has been one of constant rain since 9am I took myself off into the loft room to finish off some basing and painting. Whilst watching the rain fall I thought it would be a good opportunity to see how much of my 10mm AWI I had painted and what needed doing. 

I was pleasantly surprised by how how much I have done. There are lots of bases need finishing, standards to be issued and flag edges to be painted.

I’m tempted to do a Bunker Hill game which I believe I can fit on a 4’x4’ but that does mean I need to paint some 1768 British (started).

I apologise for the photos but poor light interfered I shall do better ones soon.

First up the American ‘rebels’










These chaps really are pretty much done I had far more than I thought! However a battalion of light infantry some continentals in brown coats and a few more light guns wagons etc wouldn’t go amiss 🤣


Now onto the Kings Army










These chaps are very much outnumbered! I need to paint some more regulars both for the Southern campaign and in 1768 dress. I would also like to do Trenton this Christmas if possible! In the past I have used the rules by the Perfect Captain which I found to be excellent, I still use their army organisation charts for campaign games. However I’m quite keen to try Live Free or Die by Little Wars TV which are an adaption of Andy Callan’s loose files and American scramble. Except my one base equates to their two as they use 25mm square and I use 40mm frontage.

I’ve also decided moving forward ( bit late really) to base the regulars in 8 rather than 10 unless early or German.

Anyway that was a pleasant surprise, just need to locate what buildings I have. Fencing has been ordered from Blotz. And the printer will get warmed up for the earthworks for Bunker/Breeds Hill.

Keep safe


9 comments:

Norm said...

They look great all ranked up and what a bonus to discover you have more than you thought ….. usually its the other way around :-)

I have the LIve Free or Die rules and would be interested to see one of their scenarios go onto your table or at least whether after consideration, you find a problem with doing the two base to 1 base conversion - as that is an aspect that interests me.

It looks a great scale to do this in.

I went to a wargame show in the lake district pre covid and someone there did Bunker Hill (in 28mm). It looked like the two sides were set up along their respective long edges, with Americans in defences on a long slope on their table edge i.e. it looked like the Battle was being represented by the British attacking just a long single position, so although they called the table BUNKER HILL, they may have just been playing against Breeds Hill or just doing a generic defence and a thematic battle. It must have been of interest if I still remember it.

Tiberian general said...

Cool looking figures Graham, Bunker hill in 10mm means you could do the ships as well😀.



Willz.

Donnie McGibbon said...

Lovely looking collection, they look really top notch. I have a pile of both sides in the "lead pile" who knows when I will ever get round to get them done. I will follow your progress with interest.

Graham C said...

Norm,
Thanks for all the info. Steve Jones did a nice game at Partizan and I got him to send me a copy of his plan for the layout which helps. In essence I can get this on a 4x4 but if I make the board deeper I can have Breeds Hill and Bunker Hill on the board.
Willz,
One ship already ordered. If it works a couple more will follow.
Donnie,
Find that paintbrush you know it makes sense.

The Jolly Broom Man said...

We seem to be going in the same direction at the moment Graham, I’ve just painted a load of brown coated Americans and I was looking at a nice ship from new line designs in 10mm. Just put an order in for some Indian chaps too. I originally based my lads for live free or die but changed them to use C&C Tricorne instead. Hopefully you’ll be getting these into battle and sharing the results with us before too long.

Old Nick said...



Brilliant looking army. They really look so much better then the 15mm I could not believe they were 10mm. Very well done!

BTW if you need any information about Bunker Hill I would happy to help.

Graham C said...

Mark,
Many thanks. E.mail sent

Aly Morrison said...

Top stuff Graham…
That’s a fair amount of little people…

All the best. Aly

DaveD said...

Looking good . I have this as 10mm project near year with the first of lead laid in now. I have a copy of LFD so be interested to see how you get on . I also picked up a copy of Soldiers of Saratoga while at Historicon if you want a look at them . I also picked up some nice 10mm buildings in thevUS from Editions Brokaw - worth a look https://battlefieldterrain.com/collections/early-american-buildings-editions-brokaw