Monday 16 May 2022

A quick shout out to Vintage Wargame figure collectors

 I have been contacted by a colleague today to shout out to any of you who collect vintage Wargame figures - Hinton Hunt, Spencer Smith etc. He is assisting an Auction House in collating the collection of the late Clive Smithers. Many of you may know him better from his blogs - the Hinton Hunter, Lone S Ranger and Vintage Wargamer.

The collection is huge the below picture shows one of three rooms which house his collection each box holds an average of 300 figures - I shall let you do the maths.


The sale is on behalf of his family and I’m advised that the figures will be sold for a few pence each but in lots  of which there will be 200-300. I should have more information toward the end of the month as to date of auction etc and will post here.

In other news the kitchen is almost finished and it’s almost killed me. I’m behind on Culloden so Thursday and Friday will be long hours spent finishing off and sorting the figures to take to Partizan


9 comments:

david in suffolk said...

Thanks, I'm sure a lot of people will be interested! Plenty to go round, too, from the sound of it. Do please let us know more when you can.

Tiberian general said...

Old gamers never die their figures trade away, a sad loss to the hobby.



Willz.

'Lee. said...

Passed this post onto Old John as I'm sure he will have his eye on a few things there! Sad when a lifetimes collections go up for auction but at least fellow enthusiasts will give it a good home.

On a similar note Graham I see that Ian Smiths planned 'final display game' is going ahead at Partizan, again very sad but should be spectacular and a fitting tribute to all the work he put into it.

Have a nice rest after the kitchen fitting, you are a better man than I am :)

Cheers,
Lee.

StuartInsch said...

I am in the sad position of having to help a late club members family dispose of his collection of figures, games, books and models.

If you hear, please do let me know which auction house handled the sale.

Hope Partizan goes well.

Cheers.

S.

Carlo said...

Hope it all goes well and the figures continue to campaign anew under a new command. Always sad to hear of the passing of such a collector however it’s a path we all will follow eventually and one would hope the estate does well.

Donnie McGibbon said...

Sad to learn of his passing, not my focus but always enjoyed his blogs on old figures etc, always something to gleam from them, hope the sale goes well, and his collection finds good homes.

ronniec said...

The sale is being advertised on the site of Hansons, Auctioneers from 27th May to 3rd June.
Kitchen almost finished here too. Unfortunately my bank balance almost is also.
Very best wishes with Culloden.
Ronnie

Big Andy said...

I knew Clive and was surprised and saddened by his death. He was a great fan of Minifigs S range and early Lamming but had other stuff too including Hinton hunt Alberken Stadden Wiilie and Les Higgins- of which he sold me some of the latter. I'd be interested to know which house is handling the sale. I'm not entirely unknowledgeable about old figures - having a few myself.

EB said...

Hello all,

Hansons Auctioneers have had Clive's collection listed for auction for some time.

https://hansonsauctioneers.co.uk/auctions/

It'll be on-line and run from 27 May (next week) to 3 June. Sadly, the catalogue still isn't published. I believe the auction was originally listed for earlier this year, but it got pulled.

Hope that helps.

Iain