Thursday 28 May 2020

A brief interlude

I needed a break from painting and doing Crann Tara orders, with a nice day forecast I arranged a game with my son - nothing too onerous as it was also a good opportunity to spend time outside.

Anyway we ended up playing the command and colours AWI variant by Compass Games



I know some people aren't keen on the restrictions of command cards but I enjoy the uncertainty and trying to plan ahead with the hand of cards you have. The rules are slightly different to the others in the system, rally rolls have been introduced ( which are good and should mean better troops are able to rally and not lost to the battle) and also combat cards - these add a little flavour to reflect some of the troops tactical doctrine such as British bayonet charge. Not automatically replaced so these have to be used appropriately 

We played the Freemans Farm scenario I was playing the Continentals, early stages of the game certainly went in my favour and whilst I hadn't succeeded in destroying any British units I had inflicted a fair few casualties.

Then the British managed to coordinate a really good attack, playing a card to allow the British to rally troops back to the Colours my son managed to bring 4 blocks back on the board thus bringing three units back to full strength, swiftly followed by an advance in the centre and some devastating volley fire my centre began to recoil. My left flank remained immobile ( no cards) so Benedict Arnold on the right tried a limited attack in the hope of turning the British line before the Hessians could get into battle. 

It all went very bad the attacks faltered without destroying any British units and their response succeeded in killing Arnold and forcing my flank to retire.
Whilst I was succeeding in playing reform cards which were allowing me to bring some blocks back and keep units alive the majority of my command cards focused on the centre - where I didn't really want to attack so I withdrew to reform around Freemans farm.

My son then succeeded in playing a series of cards launching a strong attack on my left flank, spearheaded by the Grenadiers he effectively rolled up the flank and started to attack my centre ( bottom photo) at that point the British claimed victory 7vp to 3!! 
A most enjoyable game and one we shall return to shortly for my revenge.



1 comment:

'Lee. said...

I still love the C&C system after all these years, never fails to provide an interesting and challenging game. The rally rule sounds good would be a nice add on to the Napoleonic game.