Sunday 19 February 2023

Battle of Edgehill praparation

 I like the ECW as a gaming period, relatively small armies, lots of small actions and whilst I did a demo game of Marston Moor in the early 80’s using early Mini Fig 15mm ( the ones on strips) and Peter Laing figures I have always wanted to refight Edgehill.

That early collection has long gone and whilst I made a faltering start using 20mm Newline design (very nice figures) I decided that in reality 15mm was far more practicable and the Peter Pig range full of character.

So over a period of time and utilising Lee Gramson painting service I have now collected enough figures to refight the battle.

So this coming Wednesday it’s my intention for Steve and I to fight. Today I decided to set up just to make sure all the pieces are present and correct.

The light was fading but here’s a few photos of the armies facing off, within the books I have there are some discrepancies re deployment etc. but I’ve made my best stab. The Parliamentarian Commander, The Earl of Essex, is in his coach this is in homage to Robert Morley who played the character in the film Cromwell many years ago and like May films of that era the battle is pretty inaccurate but certainly stirred the imagination of me as a young teenager.

The armies deployed, as Google seems to mix the photos up here’s a random selection of the armies, Parliament to left, Royalists on the right.



Royalist right flank with Rupert encouraging the boys


The Left wing cavalry of the Parliamentarian army

Royalist left wing with dragoons to the fore

The extreme right of the Parliamentarian centre.

King Charles and the heavy artillery looking over the centre of his lines.

Parliamentarian right flank, dragoons dismounted and ready to move through the marshy ground.


The Parliamentarian centre the Earl of Essex ensconced in his coach 😁

So I need to cut out a few more standards and issue them to units, then on Tuesday i need to get the paint pens out and get rid of any white edges around the standards.

For rules I’m using Tony Howard’s ( Prometheus in Aspic blog) Command and Colours ECW variant with suitable tweaks by JBM and yours truly. The system is designed for hexes but with some suitable rules in place around movement it’s easy enough to translate onto an open table. 

Really looking forward to this


7 comments:

Tiberian general said...

Very cool looking game Graham, thanks for sharing.


Willz.

Jonathan Freitag said...

Fine looking display, Graham. Your Hanoverian book that I picked up from you has been seeing heavy service as I plot a Hanoverian Army.

The Jolly Broom Man said...

OMG - it’s the big one I’ve been waiting for. Hold off on playing it till I’ve got the popcorn in. From what you’ve shown us so far you’ve more than done the battle justice. This’ll be ace! As long as the right side wins that is! Lol.

Independentwargamesgroup said...

Good choice Graham, the battle not the scale. With both armies being rank amateurs it makes for a really interesting battle. May I suggest you check out the latest epic releases from Warlord.

Graham C said...

Willz,
Thank you.
Jonathan,
Thanks and I’m glad you’re finding the book useful
JBM
Hope you enjoy the report, no guarantee on the victor though 🤣
Robbie
Thanks. We can’t all do 28mm 🤣. No it’s my choice to play 15mm in most periods. The new Warlords epic look excellent I think Steve and I will be doing some ‘ Imagi -Nations’

Norm said...

Very nice, a good sized collection, but as you say, the scale allows a lot on the table. It will be interesting to see how a C&C based game plays out on the open table. Will you be removing stands in the same way that blocks are removed?

Ray Rousell said...

Looking great Graham, I look forward to see more!