Tuesday 17 July 2018

What you been doing?

Sorry for the quiet spell since my return from Kenilworth it's all been a bit manic!!

On the painting front I'm still plugging away at Highlanders and I did paint a few samples of my new Mousquetaires de la Garde - now the issue is I want to paint more!



A colleague and I have also been working on some AWI rules for our 10mm collection which has seen me paint up a few more figures ( they dont take long) I can usually do a 40 figure infantry unit in an afternoon.
We gave the rules their first try out the other day on a sort of Battle of Cowpens - all worked well British won without taking the pasting they got in the actual battle, this was primarily due to the Commander of my Militia failing a command roll with the result that instead of falling back to the flanks of the Continentals they stood at the fence/ wall line and took a beating!!  Not much to see on the photos I'm afraid as this was all about testing the rules.



Finally on Sunday I was asked to participate in a Gangs of Rome Tournament at 'Gaming Figures' my local store. A most enjoyable day - 4 games won three, narrowly lost the fourth  and won the tournament :) - not bad for an oldie!

A big thanks to Gavin from Gaming Figures and Steve Snow from Warbases for organsing and running the event.


13 comments:

Colin Ashton said...

Well done in Gangs of Rome. As for the Musketeers of the Guard. They're horrible. I hate them. No I don't but it means a French army is becoming more irresistible....grrrr

Phil said...

Wonderful figures!

Carlo said...

Beautiful work on those Musketeers of the Guard Graham. Very nice indeed and great to see Colin’s resistance wavering! I have heard quite a bit about Gangs off Rome and all of it was positive so it nay warrant some further investigation.

Graham C said...

Carlo,
Thank you. Yes GOR worth looking at - simple game play but lots of clever subtleties re characters, weapons and influencing mobs good fun.

Graham C said...

Colin,
Well the French are THE most colourful army and I do have lots and more will be coming 🤣

Independentwargamesgroup said...

Good to see you winning something Graham. I still havent based my musketeers, they were a pleasure to paint. Well done again.

marinergrim said...

Busy man Graham. Who said retirement was a quiet life?

TamsinP said...

Nice Musketeers :)

Aly Morrison said...

The Musketeers are lovely...

I don’t blame you for wanting to paint more...

All the best. Aly

Graham C said...

Robbie,
I'm not really a competitive gamer but this was quite a relaxed affair and made for an enjoyable day.
Looking forward to seeing how you've painted your chaps.

Graham C said...

If the rest of my time during retirement was like this I'd be a happy man, but alas!

Graham C said...

Tamsin,
Thankyou - sure you don't want to do 18th century in 28mm? 🤣

Graham C said...

Aly,
I think a squadron of 'greys' is called for and an idea for a vignette using one of my coaches 😀